Wednesday, July 17, 2024

The "Take a Look at Me Now" Truck Sweater


My little grandnephew Sawyer is obsessed with vehicles and tools, or, as my family and I say to each other either sagely or resignedly, "He's a Swan man." I met Sawyer for the first time on Christmas Day 2023 when he was 22 months old, and he had very little interest in interacting with all the family around him. He spent the entire time playing with the toy racetrack in the basement rec room, and when upstairs, with the decorative toy train that ran on a track around the Christmas tree. He would not even take time away from his toy trucks to open his Christmas presents. His father opened Sawyer's gifts for him, and if the present was a vehicle of some kind, it would be handed over to Sawyer and he would be delighted and play with it, but otherwise he wouldn't so much as look at it. My gift to him was a dinosaur sweater and a toy stuffed dinosaur, and Sawyer never even glanced at them. My takeaway from that day, besides the one big smile that I got from him when I spoke to him about the train set (and that glows in my memory like a light), was that going forward my gifts to him needed to be vehicle-themed if I wanted him to give them the time of day.

For his second birthday in February, I sent Sawyer a storybook about trucks and one of those matching card games with pictures of trucks on the back. And though I'd chosen a striped sweater pattern for his Christmas 2024 sweater in the fall of 2023, some months later I decided to have a look through the Ravelry database to see what kind of vehicle-themed patterns it offered.


I very soon zeroed in on the cute little number above, which is the s34-15 Tiny Trucker pattern, by Drops Design. It's a free pattern. 

For the yarn, I purchased 100 grams of Sandnes Garn Double Sunday in 8082 Forest Green, and 100 grams of Sandnes Garn Double Sunday in 1015 Putty. Sawyer has blond hair and hazel eyes, and green and cream are colours that suit him well.




The completed sweater. I knitted the body as far as the armholes, then when making the first sleeve, realized I would not have enough green to do both the sleeves. 

Rather than buy another skein of green and only use a bit of it, I looked through my stash to see what I had that could be used to piece out the other two new yarns. I found a partial skein of olive green DK that seemed to work, so I knitted the two sleeves insofar as I could with the rest of the forest green yarn, using it all up, then knitted in a block of the olive green on each sleeve. I was worried I would run short of the putty too, so I knitted somewhat beyond where the putty colour was supposed to start. (I think I made the right call on that -- I had just 9 grams of the putty left when I finished the sweater.) Then, when the sweater was finished, I used the olive green to embroider on the truck. 

I think my frugal makeshift version looks just as good as the designer sample, though I do wish I'd ripped out a little of the forest green on the body, knitted in a stripe of olive, and used the dark green to do the truck duplicate stitch. But it looks nice the way it is, and I saved myself the price of two skeins of new yarn by working in a third colour from my stash.  





I bought a colouring book with lots of cars in it, and a box of crayons to go with the sweater, and it's my hope the truck sweater and the car colouring book will at least warrant a look from Sawyer. 

When I finished this project, I had used all the new forest green yarn, all but 9 grams of the putty, and 18 grams of the stash olive green, so that is a net stash decrease of 9 grams. 

No comments:

Post a Comment