Monday, November 24, 2014

Not So Slouchy Cap and Scarf


A few weeks ago after some inquiries on the topic of what my mother wanted for Christmas, she asked me to make her a tuque in "navy or whatever colour I have". I selected this pattern, the Last Minute Slouch, designed by Madeline Tosh. It's a free pattern. I did have some navy yarn that I could have used to make this cap, but since I wanted to also make Mum a matching scarf, that meant I needed to purchase yarn. My mother is allergic to wool, which meant I had to go with an acrylic. I bought 300 grams of Vanna's Choice in navy.





And here's the resulting hat and scarf set. There was no pattern for the scarf, of course. I just used the ribbed moss stitch and 2x2 ribbing you see in the hat. I'd never worked with Vanna's Choice before. I wasn't displeased with it. It comes in attractive colours and it's a decent quality compared to other acrylics I've worked with. I hope my mother is pleased with her Christmas present. She doesn't think she looks good in hats and has very exacting tastes in general, but since this is exactly what she asked for I think I'm on safe ground. Here's hoping she won't rip it out and make herself something else with the yarn as she has done with my gifts in the past.

No comments:

Post a Comment