Monday, June 1, 2020

The "12 Days of Christmas" Collection


Circa 2010, I realized I had several Christmas decorations that fit the "12 Days of Christmas" theme, and decided it would be a nice idea to collect Christmas ornaments on that theme. I've always liked the Christmas carol, as it's fun and secular (no, the song did not originate as a coded way for persecuted Christians to celebrate Christmas), and I thought it would be a fun challenge to translate the theme into beautiful Christmas decorations.

I mentioned this plan to my mother and sister, and they've been helping me out with this collection via their subsequent Christmas gifts to me, especially my sister, who has never really gotten past the beginner levels of needlework and crafting but is what I would call a creative shopper. And with this post I'm stepping a little outside the format for this blog so I can show off my collection -- though I will say that some of the items are handmade so the collection is still reasonably appropriate for a Modwardian post. The collection is incomplete as of this post's original post date with five items missing, but I will add the remaining items as I get them.

The photo above is a counted cross-stitch piece that I made from a kit I received from my sister-in-law for Christmas 2011. I stitched it the next year, setting myself the task of working certain areas each month for ten months, with November reserved for getting it professionally framed. Then when December 1st arrived, it was all ready to hang for Christmas 2012. It's probably one of my most treasured Christmas ornaments, and it's certainly the one that took the most work.





A "partridge in a pear tree" stocking. I bought the needlepoint kit from a thrift shop for $5 years ago, and once I'd worked the canvas, sewed the stocking together. The instructions didn't call for a lining, but I had some red satin lining on hand and lined it with that as I thought it made it look more finished.







A "partridge in a pear tree" platter I found at the Salvation Army Thrift Shop for $2.99 in October 2020. My mother used to set out a special Christmas tray of assorted nuts in shell, along with a nutcracker, every Christmas, and I think I might do the same with this platter.







Two turtledoves. My sister gave me these many years back. She painted them herself.





Three French hens. These were another gift from my sister. I've often thought that perhaps I ought to paint fleur-de-lis on their sides, to make them truly French.





Four calling birds. This one was also a gift from my sister. It's a Wedgwood ornament. Alas, I have never had a Christmas tree since I've been living on my own (it seems silly to get one given that there's just me here and I go home to my parents' place for Christmas), and every year when I'm unpacking the Christmas ornaments, I see it in its blue box, sigh over its exquisite beauty, and think that at some point I really must find a way to display it without a tree.





Seven swans a-swimming. This was a $5 thrift shop swan candelabra that sits on my piano all year, and in December it becomes a Christmas ornament. Of course there are only four swans on it, but I do have more than three swans elsewhere in the room, given that I collect swans too.





Nine ladies dancing. This photo was a gift from my sister too. She has definitely been persistent in her effort to help me complete my collection -- she's bought more of these items than I have.





My mother gave me a "12 drummers drumming" centrepiece that she had made for me some years back. It, uh, does not quite look the way it originally did when she made it and gave it to me, because I reworked it a little in 2020.






My sister gave me this lovely little book as a stocking stuffer for Christmas 2018. I bought the little wrought iron stand it sits in so that I would have a way to display the book during the Christmas season. I try to remember to turn a page each day during December.






I also got this Indian cotton "Twelve Days of Christmas" tea towel one Christmas -- can't remember if it was my mother or my sister who gave it to me. Seriously, what would they give me for Christmas if it weren't for this endeavour of mine?

No comments:

Post a Comment